I've recently been getting some inquiries about advertising on here, so I've decided to test the waters with a monthly banner ad auction. Lang-8 kindly agreed to be my banner ad guinea pig, and you can see what the banner ad will look like above. The minimum bid is just $10, which should hopefully make the advertising accessible to just about anyone.
Find out more after the jump.
Each month there will be one advertiser whose ad will be on each page of the blog between the title at the top of the page and the first article below that, as shown above. That ad positioning will be auctioned off each month, with the minimum bid being $10.So to quickly run through the example of this month (October 2011, bidding for November 2011), bids will be due at 11 p.m. (Tokyo time) on Friday, October 28. The winner will be contacted by no later than Sunday, October 30, and payment will be due by 9 a.m. (Tokyo time) on Wednesday, November 2. The ad will be displayed beginning on either Saturday, November 5, or Sunday, November 6, and will continue to be displayed until Saturday, December 2, or Sunday, December 3.
The product or service being advertised must be related to language learning.
I'm free to reject any bid for any reason. Ads for scammy products or ads that link to misleading websites will be rejected. Ads that are offensive, annoying, confusing or may otherwise make my readers unhappy will be rejected.
Being an advertiser won't get you favorable coverage on this site. In fact, your ad may very well be right next to negative coverage. If that doesn't suit you, don't bid.
The bid process each month will go as follows:
If an ad goes up late or there's some other screw-up on my part (e.g., I mess up the URL to which the ad links), no refund will be provided but your ad will be properly displayed for a time period equivalent to the one you bid on.
- Your bid for the following month's ad should be submitted by no later than 11 p.m. (Japan time) on the last Friday before the last full weekend in the current calendar month. Late bids will only be accepted at my discretion.
- Your bid should include the following:
- The amount of your bid, with the minimum bid being US$10;
- A brief description of the product or service to be advertised;
- Your banner ad, the maximum dimensions of which should be no greater than a standard 468 pixel by 60 pixel banner ad and which may be in any common web image format (jpg, png, gif, animated gif, etc.). Other formats (Flash, etc.) will be considered on a case-by-case basis; and
- The link to which your ad will point.
- The highest bidder that meets the criteria above will be selected as the winning bidder. In the event of a tie, previous winners will beat out new bidders and more recent previous winners will beat out more remote previous winners. If that doesn't break the tie, the earliest tying bid will win. And if that doesn't do it, I'm flipping a coin or something.
- The winning bidder will be notified by the Sunday that follows the Friday deadline.
- The winning bidder must then submit payment via PayPal or other agreed method by 9 a.m. (Tokyo time) on the Wednesday that follows the Friday deadline.
- If payment is received, the ad will be placed on either Saturday or Sunday during the first full weekend in the next month. If payment is not received, other bidders will be contacted.
- The ad will run until either Saturday or Sunday of the first full weekend of the following month. This means that ad will may run for differing numbers of weeks in differing months.
- If you win in a given month, the ad space will be yours to keep as long as you keep paying on time and as long as I don't notify you otherwise. If there's a higher bid in a subsequent month, you'll be notified with the chance to outbid that higher bid.
This ad program may be suspended or end at any time, but any ads paid for will be displayed for the full display period.
As is usual with policies of this sort, any feedback you have would be much appreciated and please let me know if you have any questions. In addition, I'm open to other ideas you might have for advertising, so feel free to send your thoughts this way.