The default Anki template from LWT sets up cloze deletion flashcards for you, or, more simply put, fill-in-the-blank flashcards. The prompt will be the source sentence with the term blanked out together with the meaning of the term, and the answer will be the term itself and its pronunciation, if any.
Set-upThe following steps will set up everything you need to use LWT's Anki template and only need to be done once:
- Download the latest version of Learning with Texts from here.
- Double click the LWT zip file that you just downloaded.
- Open the folder extracted from the zip file, open the "anki" folder within that folder, and double click the "LWT.anki.zip" file within the "anki" folder.
- Double click the "LWT.anki" file extracted from the "LWT.anki.zip" file. This will add a deck called "LWT" and a note type called "Basic" to Anki, which will mean that you will probably have two notes types named "Basic". We will remedy that below.
- In the "Anki" window, click "Add".
- In the "Add" window, click the "Type" button.
- In the "Add" window's slide-down window, click the "Manage" button.
- In the "Note Types" window, select "Basic [145 notes]", click the "Rename" button, rename "Basic" to "LWT", click OK, and close the "Note Types" window.
- In the "Add" window's slide-down window, click the "Choose" button, and close the "Add" window. It does not matter which note type is selected.
- In the "Anki" window, select "Delete" from the pull-down menu in the "LWT" deck's row. This will get rid of the unnecessary "LWT" deck and its 145 sample cards.
ImportingOnce the above set-up has been done, you'll only have to do the following each time you want to import LWT terms using LWT's note type:
- Open Anki and, in the "Anki" window, click "Import File".
- Select the file you exported from LWT ("lwt_anki_export.txt" if you did not change the name) and click the "Open" button.
- In the "Import" window, click the "Type" button, select "LWT", and click the "Choose" button.
- In the "Import" window, check "Allow HTML in fields".
- In the "Import" window, click the "Import" button. This will open a second "Anki" window that tells you how many notes were added.
- Close the second "Anki" window.
- What you need to know before you get started
- How to export LWT terms for Anki
- How to import LWT terms into Anki as simple flashcards
- How to import LWT terms into Anki using LWT's fill-in-the-blank Anki template
- How to import LWT terms into Anki using your own custom set-up